x86_64 smp 2.6.15-1.1781_FC4 in ?

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 13:06:29 UTC 2006

dragoran wrote:

> I noticed that smp is enabled in the 2.6.15 fc kernel build (from daves
> people page)

I'm slightly puzzled by the mixture of cpu architectures and fedora
versions between your subject and message body, but ...

> why is this done? maybe it does not hurt but why does a smp kernel
> exists than? where is the differnce?

Do you mean why not have a non-smp kernel for x86_64? If so probably
because many(most?/all?) EMT64 CPUs support HT or dual core.

Or do you mean why have SMP and non-SMP versions for other CPUs? If so
because various types of locks can be optimized away if not using SMP.