x86_64 smp 2.6.15-1.1781_FC4 in ?

dragoran dragoran at feuerpokemon.de
Tue Jan 3 13:15:35 UTC 2006

Andy Burns wrote:

> dragoran wrote:
>
>> I noticed that smp is enabled in the 2.6.15 fc kernel build (from
>> daves people page)
>

> I'm slightly puzzled by the mixture of cpu architectures and fedora
> versions between your subject and message body, but ...

sorry the subject got "broken"

>> why is this done? maybe it does not hurt but why does a smp kernel
>> exists than? where is the differnce?
>

> Do you mean why not have a non-smp kernel for x86_64? If so probably
> because many(most?/all?) EMT64 CPUs support HT or dual core.

there are many non dualcore am64 chips arround

> Or do you mean why have SMP and non-SMP versions for other CPUs? If so
> because various types of locks can be optimized away if not using SMP.

here we have
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC4/RPMS.kernel/kernel-2.6.15-1.1781_FC4.x86_64.rpm
and
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC4/RPMS.kernel/kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1781_FC4.x86_64.rpm
smp is already enabled in the non smp kernel.. so why do we have 2
kernels with different names but same config? (or is there a difference
beween them)