Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 18:25:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 02:32 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:18 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Unfortunately I'm also required to enter my password for
> > gnome-keyring-daemon each time I boot the laptop, before the wireless
> > network will connect. I'm sure it used to connect as soon as the
> > machine booted, but now it's waiting for me -- that's a fairly
> > significant regression, since I'm used to just powering the laptop up
> > and walking away from it, then logging in over the network.
>
> I filed bug #174467 for this in rawhide; I've just noticed that the
> package I was testing has made its way into FC4 updates without this
> problem being fixed, so I cloned the bug as #176728 for FC4.
>
> WEP keys are _not_ per-user data. They're system-wide.

Debatable.  I may be authorized to connect to certain networks, and
you're not.  So the network & authorization information is specific to
my user, and shouldn't be available to yours.  This is the same
situation as 802.1x certificates for authentication.  You shouldn't use
my certificate to authenticate to the access server.  Same for WEP keys.

Of course, this is all premised on console-user privileges.  In an
actively multi-user machine, there do need to be system-wide settings
for networking.  But nobody has come up with an acceptable method for
system-wide settings, besides using GConf's default/mandatory settings.
But by default, I argue that such security and authentication
information is first per-user, second system-wide, and only in that
order.  Just like login passwords.

Dan