mono? true?

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 12:52:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > gcj IIRC is clean room
> >
> That doesn't apply to patents, only copyrights.  You can infringe on a
> patent without ever even knowing it existed.  That's why patents are so
> feared.

That is *utterly* insane. I edit a programmers magazine in the UK and
from you're saying just about every piece of code anyone submits is
prone to patent infraction.

I would imagine that with things going so badly for SCO that they will
soon be claiming that "a linear progression with an increment of a
pointered article which performs a predefined series of algebraic
operations with the purpose of progressing an unclear pathway" is
theirs. To the rest of us it means

for (int a = 0; a < 10; ++a)
{
  a + m > a * 8 ? x = true : x = false;
  if (x) // x is unclear until defined.
   return;
  m++ ;
}

> > Same here. Then when that happens we can have mp3 and mpeg support
> > returned as well as libcss (which again is only a claim of patent
> > infringement).
> >

> We do have Mono now, but we're not going to be getting MP3 or MPEG.
> Those have actual claims that have withstood the courts backing them
> up.

Where? I'm yet to see anything in Europe where the patents have been
proven for either of them and they are both under the seemingly constant
cycle of approved (monday) - appealed (tuesday) - repealed (wed) -
appealed (thur) - denied (fri) - appealed (sat)

> Unless a good, open license appears, we have to wait for those
> patents to expire.

Is the gstreamer-mp3 thing not a good case for this?

> As for libcss, that isn't just about patents.  The
> bigger concern there is the DMCA.  The CSS decryption code is one of few
> things you can be more sure we will not be getting than MP3.

Bloody DMCA. Biggest and daftest piece of US legislation ever purchased.

TTFN

Paul

Dr Who