Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 16:59:58 UTC 2006

On 01/09/2006 11:16 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 13:25 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> Debatable.  I may be authorized to connect to certain networks, and
>> you're not.  So the network & authorization information is specific to
>> my user, and shouldn't be available to yours.
>>

> That doesn't really make much sense in the Linux world -- if the network
> is configured and running then all users on the machine _have_ got
> access to the it. I think there are some iptables hacks around to
> attempt to limit network access to certain users, but we don't ship
> them, do we? We certainly don't attempt to use them.

Well, we live in the real world, not the linux world.  For example, on
my personal, privately owned laptop, I want to access Red Hat's VPN and
its WEP keys.  I store my keys in the keyring.  It is not unreasonable
for me to allow my sister, or my girlfriend, or whatnot to use my laptop
at times.  However, they do not get access to Red Hat's internal
network.  They have their own unpriveledged user accounts on my laptop.
I don't see how this is an unreasonable situation in the real world.