Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 18:04:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 10:01 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> said:
> > Yes, we need to have system-wide configuration, nobody disagrees.  We
> > all just disagree on how immediate the need is.
>
> System-wide configuration is much more useful than per-user config.  A
> lot of things are broke if the network is only working when someone logs
> in (cron jobs like "yum", any type of remote administration, etc.).

>From your perspective perhaps.  It depends entirely on how you use your
computer.

NetworkManager was written to make wireless & laptop use easier
_immediately_, and server & immobile workstation cases would be dealt
with at a slightly later date.  The current operation of NM is entirely
consistent with a laptop/mobile-user use-case, and I've not heard [m]any
of these users complain.  Laptop & mobile users do not always have
network.  So in the current system, cronjobs have no guarantee of being
run either.  NM doesn't change that.

* The people who want network on boot are, by definition, the people NM
was immediately trying to please. *

But now that the time has come to start building out support for more
use-cases, including the tethered workstation case, these problems need
fixing.  They will be fixed in a consistent, usable, and technically
correct manner.  That is to say, not tomorrow, and probably not by FC5.

Various people are complaining that "NM doesn't work for me, it needs
fixing NOW."  These people are entirely correct in the medium and long
run.  But if it doesn't work for you now, then don't use it.  Or, gently
help it along towards those goals with a minimum necessary level of
complaint.

Dan