New schedule for FC5 Test2 ISO roll-out?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:58:59 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 17:26 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> > Now whether or not fc5t1 counts as a "release" is debatable on many
> > different levels.
>
> No, it's very much not.  alpha/beta/test have never been guaranteed (or
> at all expected) to update perfectly from one to the next, and never
> will.

Let me rephrase....
To the meatheads I interact with in the less refined communication
channels concerning fedora.  "Test releases" are a form of "release"
to them. The fact that the schedule page itself uses the term
"release" after the word "test1" in fact supports this naive view of
the world that the "test releases" are in fact a form of "release"
though not of equal quality to "final releases."  While those of us
who bask in the enlightenment that comes with months of intensive
day-to-day use of the development tree, know the extent of that
difference... the less experienced among us can be and are will be
repeatedly confused by phrases which use the word "release" in an
unqualified manner which imply exclusion of "test releases"

For example in this thread
"dbus-qt was never enabled in a release" as uttered by John implied
exclusion of
"test releases."  Inexperienced testers may not infer that exclusion
as intended in the statement and may in fact read "a release" to
include "test releases" based on normally agreed rules on of how
adjectives modify nouns when standard English is spoken or written.
The fact that fedora "test releases" are named contrary to those
normally applied rules of grammer is unfortunately going to lead to
confusion. And I dare say even more confusing for people who are
trying to engage in an English discussion when they are not fluent in
American English.  I'm pretty confident that  Chasecreek here was
confused initially by John's assertion and in fact thought of the
"test1 release" as "a release"

To be blunt.
If you want to avoid confusing inexperienced users with regard to what
a "test release" actually means.. either stop calling them "test
releases" or stop using the word "release" in an unqualified way which
implies exclusion of "test releases"

-jef"'Red cars' are still cars... the phrase 'a car ran over my cat'
does not imply exclusion of a 'red car'"spaleta