/media/disk-n disaster: /etc/fstab ignored, all filesystems mounted

William John Murray W.J.Murray at rl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 17:16:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 12:00 -0500, fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com
wrote:

> FC5test1 recently began mounting all fixed-disk filesystems
> as /media/disk, /media/disk-1, /media/disk-2, ... when they
> are not listed already in /etc/fstab as being mounted otherwise.
>
> What chain of packages and policies causes this?
> How can it be stopped?  This is a disaster for a box
> which multiboots older systems (FC2, RH9, RH8.0, ...)
> for testing and support.
>
> Ext3 is not backwards compatible with ext3 [itself].
> The introduction of feature ext_attr cannot be removed
> by tune2fs, and SELinux has been known to spray eagerly
> anything in sight.

I have a similar complaint, but in 2 parts:

First, my laptop triple-boots [Windows XP][FC4][FC5t1]

   *) I get the above behaviour using the 2.6.15-1.29_FC5hypervisor
    kernel only. For me this is only a partition on /sda1 which seems
    to have 100Mb of Dell system fat16 area. But it appeared, writeable,
     and I may have clobbered it by mistake, not sure.

   Note that I share the /boot partition for FC4 and FC5, and have
had to disable selinux on FC5 to make this work. Is there a
way around that?

    *) However, I have long had a problem that XP complains the NTFS
area is dirty, and does a disk check on it instead of booting. This
seems to follow an 'ordinary' FC5T1 boot. FC5T1 /etc/fstab does not
mention the ntfs partition. FC4 does mount it R/O, but it seems to be
the FC5T1 boot which causes problems.

   Cheers,
   Bill