yum wants to remove my kernels, why?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 03:09:44 UTC 2006

On 1/14/06, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems to be acting as if it doesn't recognize these as kernel packages that
> should be installonly.
>
> The yum config is stock FC5T1.

You are misunderstanding what is happening.
To be as specific as possible.....
the begging of your yum session log you should see:

the "installonlyn" plugin is use to automatically remove older kernels.
the configuration of this plugin is found at:
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf

I personally change the defaults on my rawhide box for this plugin so that
tokeep=4, so I can do some additional troubleshooting of kernels.

If you want to understanding how this works take a look at
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/installonlyn.py

-jef