FC5 T2

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 15 22:37:44 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Patrick <fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>>I guess he got it, as usual, from one of the uhm less managed mirrors.
>>Has happened almost every time now with a new (test) release. Imagine
>>the discussion going back and forth soon on #fedora :)
>

> For test releases i do not bother.... I just laugh at people for
> getting themselves into trouble. There is an assumed risked with test
> releases... and since the development tree unfreezes and has updates
> before the test release goes out.. its not really a big deal... if a
> test release slips.
>
> For final releases... leaks are a REAL problem for the unsuspecting
> userbase.. simply because zero-day updates to fix bugs are typically
> not available before the official release date. This is a HUGE
> problem, because the meatheads who are broadcasting the leaked isos or
> torrent tickets makes absolutely no effort to communicate to other
> people that those urls are unofficial and the update trees do not get
> content before the official release date.
>
> Now you take this fact together with the fact that releases ALWAYS
> slip... and you ALWAYS find your self in a situation right before the
> official release where you have interested, but novice, users who is
> using an old release schedule date as the basis for looking for a
> release. They bump into the oh-so-clever iso spawn campers in #fedora
> and they are handed a leaked iso address without being told that
> updates aren't available yet. This is highly inappropriate and leaves
> unsuspecting users in a situations where they will be required to live
> with zero-day problems for several days until the update tree is
> populated on the official release date.  The people who hand out the
> leaked urls in public forums are not acting in the best interest of
> the userbase at-large and are just clever little punks with way too
> much time on their hands.
>
> -jef"but im not bitter"spaleta

It seems to me that Red Hat has a management problem it's ignoring.

It needs to address the facts of life and come to terms with them. User
behaviour is human behaviour, and it will not change at Red Hat's behest.

I think RH will serve itself and its users better by adopting the
policy, when it's ready it ships.

Apply this to both the release (beta or final) and to the updates.

By all means, document that (whatever) support (there may be) does not
begin until the 23 hour of the 275th day of the two thousand ans sixth
year, or whatever.

It would also help if Anaconda (or first-run) offers to find relevant fixes.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait