ReiserFS 3.6

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 01:22:14 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>> Does ReiserFS handle SELinux content now? I seem to recall that a
>> filesystem other than ext2 / ext3 was capable of accomidating SELinux
>> content. Is the progress less than expected by this date?
>

> Yes. It does. Along with XFS too I believe. There was a recent patch to
> fix some compatibility issues with MLS and non MLS systems as reported
> in LWN earlier.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=e517a0cd859ae0c4d9451107113fc2b076456f8f

Thanks! All I found when searching after replying was
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=selinux&m=112653995009765&q=raw

and brief information on xfs that was commented on earlier regarding
doubling the inode size.

>> Regarding SELinux, it has problems, but the problems are usually dealt
>> with quickly when information can be supplied to pinpoint where the
>> adjustments that need to be made. I find SELinux still to be rather
>> cryptic. It does however ease worries a bit that critical services and
>> processes are protected better than possible on a system where SELinux
>> is not used.
>>
> The reference policy (http://serefpolicy.sourceforge.net/) included in
> this release is expected to improve that a lot by helping to add policy
> information to the packages themselves and using loadable modules to add
> additional flexibility by allowing better management of site specific
> customizations.  Firstboot and system-config-securitylevel allows you to
> tweak SELinux booleans to add much of the flexibility required already.
> Bug reports in bugzilla related to SELinux in Fedora are usually
> responded to in a swift fashion. Discussion in fedora-selinux list  have
> also had a good noise/signal ratio. We expect to provide better
> documentation in additional to the Fedora SELinux FAQ and RHEL SELinux
> guides.

The documentation and configurability aspects interest me the most for
managing SELinux to a level I would feel comfortable with. All the goals
described in the link location that you posted above seem progressive
while still allowing legacy support for current variations.

XFS was probably the filesystem that was discussed instead of reiserfs
that I was vaguely recalling.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!