CD blanking on FC5T1 sata

William John Murray w.j.murray at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 14:26:27 UTC 2006

>>   Hello there,
>>            I am trying to re-write a CD using FC5T1, and failing. Any suggestions would be nice...
>>
>> Kernel:  2.6.15-1.1857_FC5
>> Cd writer: TSSTcorp CD-RW/DVD-ROM  (atapi sata CD)
>>
>> I am using the gnome cd writer, which asks whether I want to blanck the CD. I say yes
>> and it fails, sayimg:
>> "There was an error writing to the disc"
>>
>> If I look in /var/log/messages, and boot using hdc=noprobe for DVD dma access I get:
>>    Jan 16 10:44:03 billmurray kernel: Assertion failed! qc->n_elem > 0,drivers/scsi/libata-core.c,ata_fill_sg,line=2532
>>
>> while if I boot without I get /dev/hdc created and I get:
>> Jan 16 11:00:27 billmurray kernel: scsi: unknown opcode 0x01
>
>I boot with "hda=none hdc=none" to allow the sata interface to be used
>(for HD & DVD/CD-RW respectively).
>
>Are you sure you're using a CD-RW?  What does "cdrecord blank=fast" do
>for you?
>
>	-Paul
  THe boot options don't help. cdrecord blank=fast says:

cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.85-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c	1.85 05/05/16 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
      have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
      cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
      not be bothered with problems in this version.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TSSTcorp'
Identifikation : 'CDRW/DVD TSL462C'
Revision       : 'DE01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl