Creating Laptop Profiles

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jan 18 17:21:54 UTC 2006

> I'm wondering if it would be a worthy endeavor to begin a process of
> creating model-specific "profile" RPM's for various laptop models?  For
> example, I might create an RPM called fedora-profile-thinkpad-t43 which
> would:
> - require the tpb and other necessary packages for full hardware support
> - include appropriate T43-specific config files for the tpb program
> - include appropriate acpi scripts and put them in the right places
> Long-term, one might even be able to include optimized xorg configs (for
> example, I use some features of the radeon driver to let me re-size the
> screen between a 1- and 2-monitor setup when I dock/undock my system).
>
> So, the questions are:
>  - Does this make any sense to do?
>  - What kind of naming scheme is appropriate?
>  - How can I deal with config files (for example, tpb owns tpb.conf, but
> I want to have my pkg provide a better tpb.conf...)?
>  - Does this target only laptops, or is this at all appropriate for
> desktops, too?
>
> In an ideal world, one might hope we'd get to the point that vendors
> would supply such a package when they ship a new laptop model.
>
> As nice as it would be to have "out of the box" support for this stuff,
> I'm assuming it's really more of an extras project.  Nonetheless, I
> thought it might be wise to start out asking for suggestions here in
> case there are other issues, ideas, or projects afoot that might have
> some bearing on how best to do this.

A first start I would encourage A LOT is this.

Document all the steps (top to bottom) it took you to setup Fedora Core
on your laptop in the fedoraproject wiki.

I think it's an excellent idea b/c there are not _that_ many different
laptops out there, there will be a lot of people using the same model.

However, I'd recommend being as precise as possible about what model you
got. T43 encompasses a lot of laptops.

-sv