newer kernels disallow internet

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jan 19 03:57:07 UTC 2006

	Hello all:

	I need some help here for an odd problem. Currently I run
kernel-2.6.15-1.1826.2.10_FC5, as newer kernel freeze during the cups
initiation for nearly 5 minutes, also during gdm (I get a blank blue
screen for 1-2 minutes before the splash-screen shows up.

	Once I am fully booted, I am unable to use any Internet (mail http,
etc.).  I have checked resolv.conf, hosts etc. they all appear normal -
ifconfig shows my Internet address but cannot ping, load any sites (I
get an immediate error in firefox).  if it's any help, for some reason
in my bash prompt I no longer see scott at ip<ip-address>, but just
scott at localhost. I also checked the archives and found the suggetion and
checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but onboot was
already =yes.

My equipment is an msi mobo, realtek 8139 ethernet adapter (uses 8139too
driver)

Thanks for any help