Creating Laptop Profiles

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 06:56:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 12:21 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> A first start I would encourage A LOT is this.
>
> Document all the steps (top to bottom) it took you to setup Fedora Core
> on your laptop in the fedoraproject wiki.

I can't possibly agree more.  In general, a t43 is something we should
just support out of the box.

(though right now there are some minor tweaks needed to get good
support, but what you should get is just that -- good support)

> However, I'd recommend being as precise as possible about what model you
> got. T43 encompasses a lot of laptops.

Absolutely.  For ThinkPads, this means the number that looks like
"2373-9FU".  You can get it from the sticker on the bottom, or from
"dmidecode -t 1":

[root at vroomfondel ~]# dmidecode -t 1
# dmidecode 2.7
SMBIOS 2.33 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
System Information
        Manufacturer: IBM
        Product Name: 23739FU                    <--------- this number.
        Version: ThinkPad T41
        Serial Number: 99RCPVW
        UUID: E2733281-4666-11CB-9784-AC56673DF7D0
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch

--
  Peter