Shy Applications

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jan 19 16:56:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-19-01 at 10:43 +0100, Josep Puigdemont wrote:

> On 19/01/06, Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net> wrote:
>         Paul Dickson wrote:
>         > Has anyone else noticed that applications are now opening
>         behind
>         > everything else?
>         >

>         Yes, I have noticed it also...no clue as to why.
>

> This is intentional, iirc, in order to prevent stealing the focus from
> the window you are working with, although sometimes this is not what
> you expect.

If anything, I have noticed many times that the front window does
not hold the focus when switching between virtual desktops. I just
figured it was a "feature" of Metacity. I much preferred Sawfish
due to the ability to easily customize window and focus behaviour
and other things. Metacity has been OK and the inability to
customize it has been only a minor inconvenience, and the couple
of things I consider quirks are only slight annoyances to me.

One thing I think would be a nice feature, would be that especially
for applications that are slow to start, if you are typing in one
application and another application finally comes up, it doesn't
immediately steal the focus. In order to determine if an
application should take the focus immediately upon successfully
opening it's window(s) would be :
If no other application was given focus between the time the
application was launched and it opened then it should take
focus, otherwise it should continue to leave the application in
focus with the focus.

Currently the random focus pocus <;^) can be a little annoying
but it is still just a minor annoyance to most people I have
heard from.