Assign ethX to specific MAC?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 17:14:03 UTC 2006

Keith Sharp wrote:

> By editing:
>
> 	/etc/modprobe.conf
> 	/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
>
> you should be able to swap the devices over.

I've added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf:

    alias eth0 e100
    alias eth1 airo
    install eth1 /sbin/modprobe eth0; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install \
        eth1

Actually, the "alias eth0 e100" line was already there.

iwconfig now reports eth1 as the wireless device, hooray!

Now however, my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth{0,1} files have
gone missing.  I've used system-config-network to configure the devices,
and it's created /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth{0,1}; how
are those files supposed to be copied to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net