FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 02:30:18 UTC 2006

Linux Counter (li.counter.org) #386711 wrote:

>I just ftp'd the 5 disks, and put it on my system. Firstly, the
>installer sucks. Graphical only displays the top left corner of the
>screen, showing none of the useful information. I had to use text,
>which was completely garbled.

Nobody else has reported the problem so far. Which display card is
this?. Can you provide more information of the system?

>Then, I got to the package selection
>screen. I know that they're still working on it, but come on! With no
>'everything' option,I got very minimal packages.

Not this again. This is a feature not a bug :-)

Everything installations are generally a bad idea.

* Dependency issues -  One of the reasons behind doing a everything
installation is avoid dealing with dependency issues. However that is
largely not a problem now since yum install and yum groupinstall along
with along programs like pirut. Refer to the yum guide available at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs

* Discoverability - Fedora Core like you indicate a large number of
useful programs but the installer divides these into several different
types to target particular segment of use cases and avoid having to a
everything installation. Custom group and package selection is available
for those who would like to do a granular installation. Even if all the
packages of Fedora Core is installed it doesnt grant users immediate
access to all the packages since the ones in Fedora Extras repository is
not available at installation time. Though the installer itself is
getting support for additional repositories the aspect of making these
packages more visible to users is better handled through the use of
tools such as pirut rather than having users install everything which
they cant now anyway since the installation is limited to Fedora Core
packages.

* Redundancy - While Fedora Core itself is slowing moving towards
providing more packages as part of the Fedora Extras and possibly doing
several different targets the current selection uses multiple programs
that provide the same functionality, browsers or desktop environments
for example and its better for users to use a graphical tool like pirut
and install packages as necessary.

* Security, manageability  and performance -  As more and more packages
are installed on a system the amount of  updates and interactions
between the packages that the user has to handle drastically increases.
For users who are using Fedora as  a development system or using it just
to learn Linux where the system serves no other purpose and a high
amount of bandwidth is available this might make sense but for others
users who use it deploy it at various levels the amount of updates and
potential security issues that they have to deal with packages that they
might not even use is a additional burden. Moreover the additional
packages installed might need listen to network connections by default
making the systems potentially more vulnerable by increasing the attack
vector. Additional services enabled by default also affect performance.

> I decided to use
>add/remove packages. This crashed pretty much immediately.

What packages did you try to add or remove?. Did you get a traceback?.
See if its already reported or file a bug report in
http://bugzilla.redhat.com against pirut.

> I'm stuck
>with a pile of minimal non-working crud.

Yum and yum groupinstall can help you install rest of the packages required even if pirut is not working.

--
Rahul