FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Fri Jan 20 06:52:16 UTC 2006

I know people work hard on these releases, but some bugs should
be obvious...

I downloaded the 5bin cds yesterday, and tried to install it in
an extra partition on my disk (3.2GHz Pentium4, 945Gnt Motherboard).

Probably 8 out of 10 times the installer died while I was picking
packages to install.  Each time it would pop up a message box saying
something to the effect 'this is a bug' and describing how to report it.

OK, with repeated beating, on at least two attempts I got by the
'picking packages' bug and got to the actual install.  In both cases
I got somewhere late on the 1st CD (the ribbon showed that I was about
50% installed), and now it complains about an unexpected interrupt,
pops up a message box and dies.

Not nice.

And WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE PREVIOUS install program, it seems to have
worked fine ever since RedHat5 or 6.  Why is it being replaced with
something that is not even debugged?

Guess Ill wait and give it another try when FC5T3 is available, but
this doesnt leave a very good feeling in my stomach...  All I wanted
to do was see if this release supports the Intel 945 Motherboards
(It appears it does), but Im not going to try the support till I can
at least install a system.  Sigh.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com