.1861 Oops enabling eth0/eth1?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jan 20 08:02:20 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 07:15, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> The usual trick for capturing these is to boot in a higher console
> resolution, with vga=791 for example (or vga=1 if your monitor doesn't
> like 791)

What about netdump?  I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of
people on this list aren't testing rawhide on their only computer, so netdump
should be a good option for capturing the log as well as a dump of kernel
memory.  Even on 10baseT netdump is fast enough to not be excessively painful
if you only have 256M of RAM, on 100baseT it should be fast enough for any
machine that you are likely to test rawhide on (not sure if the simple UDP
protocol used will benefit much from Gig-E).

Incidentally as netdump is started late in the boot process there are a number
of things it won't deal with, such as an Oops in the initrd.  Does anyone
have a howto on configuring an initrd with netdump support?

Another option of course is a serial console.  It's a pity that they are
manufacturing machines with no PC serial port nowadays (a serial port on a
laptop docking-bay may not work and a USB serial port isn't going to work).