FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 17:03:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:52 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:

> And WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE PREVIOUS install program, it seems to have
> worked fine ever since RedHat5 or 6.  Why is it being replaced with
> something that is not even debugged?

The installer is changing how packages get installed.  In order to move
forward and be able to handle such things as using Extras at install
time, or any other repo, the internal bits that install packages and
resolve deps had to be replaced.  They've been replaced with yum.  So
all the stuff that interacts with this has to change as well.

We did several smoke tests of test2 prior to sending it to the mirroring
system.  Multiple installs on multiple hardware platforms, using
multiple install methods.  Had we ran into something obviously wrong
like what you are seeing, we would have not shipped Test2 until it got
fixed.  However we didn't and thus we shipped it.

The PC market is very tough to satisfy.  There are an infinite number of
combinations of hardware.  There really isn't enough time ever to test
each and every one of these platforms before shipping a release,
especially a test release.  We make a best effort at testing certain
platforms.  The only way we can touch on more combinations is to release
software and let you, the community, test.  If you run into bugs, GREAT!
File it and we'll try to fix it so that the next person using your
hardware won't run into the problem.

So while the bug(s) may seem obvious to you, unless your exact hardware
is sitting in my cube it isn't going to seem very obvious to me.  I am a
bit hurt at the implication that we don't even bother to test our
release before we send it out the door.  We do, and in fact we're
actively seeking to hire somebody to lead our Fedora QA efforts.  If you
think you've got what it takes to lead a QA effort, and engage the
community to leverage community resources for QA efforts, please forward
me your resume.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora