FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Jan 21 03:43:26 UTC 2006

Peter Jones wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 09:47 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>>There's nothing magic about 4 CDs - it's just a reality check that says
>>>"hey, we are growing with no end in sight". It's not the size that's the
>>>problem - it's the endless growth.
>>>

>>If we are fighting endless growth, we should be defining what core
>>really means and then trim core to meet this goal which would result in
>>a single CD
>>

>This is just picking a different arbitrary and extremely ephemeral size
>limitation.  So now I'll have a go at it, just to demonstrate how banal
>this whole line of reasoning is:
>
>To use our desktop without much pain, you realistically need a lot of
>ram, a pretty good video card, and a relatively fast CPU.  Any computer
>with all of these can surely include a DVD drive.

They could but it is additional cost to bear. DVD drives especially when
introduced into a new market is much more costlier than a CD drive. You
will have to take into consideration that Fedora is being redistributed
all over the world including developing countries with extremely limited
budgets. I have been involved with non-profit associations, educational
institutions etc where a DVD drive cost can easily exceed a quarterly
budget. If we are excluding these people we are limiting our audience
drastically. One of the other things that needs to happen is a low
resource economy edition of Fedora. That is something I am planning out
already.

--
Rahul