FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Edwin Olson eolson at mit.edu
Sun Jan 22 16:39:42 UTC 2006

>In the future, when/if cds for fedora Extras are available. Are you
>going to be installing everything for Core+Extras at install time?

Clearly my intent by selecting "everything" is that I want the installer
to google for ".tgz", download, build, and install all the results. Oh,
and I want every version of gcc that has ever existed. :)

Kidding aside, I appreciate the problem you're indicating. To clarify:
My intent, when I say "everything", isn't "everything". It's
"everything" as known on FC4, at least approximately. Perhaps a
different term would be better ("thorough", "comprehensive", "swiss-army
knife"?)

I find that the workstation/server "profiles" don't really fit me that
well. My recollection is that you get to "pick one" and then modify it.
Maybe a good compromise would be to allow the user to "check off"
multiple profiles which fit the user's needs. I could select all
workstation *and* server tools, for example, and my install would then
be the union of the two profiles.

Addressing the second half of my problem, perhaps one of these profiles
could be "Useful but less-often used utilities", kind of a catch-all for
stuff like 'nc', 'lsusb'... Perhaps there's criteria limiting those
packages which qualify for this profile, such as size. I suspect that a
handful of these types of "profiles" could be fairly easily conjured up,
and would satisfy most of the users who want an "everything-ish" option.

-Ed