FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:01:29 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Edwin Olson <eolson at mit.edu> wrote:
> I find that the workstation/server "profiles" don't really fit me that
> well. My recollection is that you get to "pick one" and then modify it.
> Maybe a good compromise would be to allow the user to "check off"
> multiple profiles which fit the user's needs. I could select all
> workstation *and* server tools, for example, and my install would then
> be the union of the two profiles.

This sounds very much like what the comps groupings try to address.
Figuring out which comps groups should be defined and where in the
comps groups specific packages should go, is non-trivial and requires
thought and review.

Here's the fascinating bit, in the future when/if anaconda gains
support for using arbitrary repos, repos could provide only comps
grouping information which provides specialized comps groupings which
differ from the comps in Core without providing a single additional
package. You could very well see specialized profiles being offered by
community which redefine the available groups to offer you some
different options.

My point is, the catchall "everything" button which has lived as
special UI outside of the grouping definitions, is going to be
ill-defined in future releases when support for repositories other
than Core is exposed in the installer.  Instead of trying to layer
functionality into the specialized everything install button which
tries to figure out if you mean everything in Core or everything in
Core+Extras or everything in Core+Extras+other repos... the
functionality can be wrapped into how comps is handled with effort.

-jef