FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 23 00:01:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> goemon at anime.net wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> > > Though I am not a developer I already presented what I believe to be
> > > compelling arguments against it. Remember again that every feature has a
> > > associated cost.
> >

> > is the cost of an 'everything' button really so unreasonably high?
>
> Yes it is.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg01138.html

no, it's not.  i took the time to check out that post and it most
emphatically *doesn't* demonstrate that an "everything" button has an
associated "cost."  let me just use the first bullet point on that
page as an example:

"* Dependency issues - One of the reasons behind doing a everything
installation is avoid dealing with dependency issues. However that is
largely not a problem now since yum install and yum groupinstall along
with along programs like pirut. Refer to the yum guide available at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs"

note well that what that point shows is that an everything install may
not have as compelling reason for *existence* as it once did, and i'm
certainly willing to grant that. but it most certainly does *not* show
that it has a "cost."  there's a difference.

more to the point, it cannot *possibly* have an associated "cost"
since you can emulate it simply by selecting all of the check boxes on
the screen.

i have no problem with people arguing against an "everything" install.
but, please -- don't make up bogus arguments to bolster your case.

rday

p.s.  i can appreciate the argument that calling it "everything" may
confuse users who aren't sure if that means everything they can
currently see, or absolutely everything imaginable.  fine.  so call it
"all of the above" -- that solves the problem.

in any event, there may be reasons why an "everything" install isn't
as important a feature as it once was.  but it doesn't appear to have
an actual "cost" associated with it, and it clearly doesn't do any
actual harm.  so let's not make those arguments, ok?