FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 03:44:30 UTC 2006

Richard Hally wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/06, goemon at anime.net <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
>>
>>> so far it seems like almost everyone wants it back and you're the
>>> only one
>>> arguing for its removal. perhaps this should tell you something
>>

>> Yeah everyone else in this discussion is insane.
>>
>> I'm arguing for removal. In fact I'm arguing for removal of all
>> package choice in the interactive Core installer so that an
>> installation of core only gives you a default set of packages and
>> everything else happens post install or via kickstart.
>
> Or "everything else" is extras or somewhere else.
> Consider the proposition that "If it's good enough to be included in
> Core it good enough to be installed on my system"

Thats too generic. Is all of the software thats available in core needed
to be installed simultaneously and is using all of them together a
common scenario?

> Are you forgetting the "non-internet access" use case? Or what about
> the person that only has a very slow connection(e.g. dial-up) and
> installs his system from the CDs he borrowed from his buddy and
> returns them after the install?

You realize that work is being done to create ISO images of Fedora
Extras packages too. right. Even you could that do that today.

> Does kickstart install from CDs?
>
> BTW, there is a bugzilla for kickstart not working with an everything
> selection.

Report number?

> And what makes Rahul think he knows the difference better than others?
> (wink,wink)

Oh please guys. Listen before responding. I presented very detailed
reasons why I think it is not a good thing. Now will any of you present
a few different use cases that make it obsoletely require within the
single click in the installer GUI itself instead of merely lobbying for
a change without specifying the reasons why you use this option at all.

--
Rahul