FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 16:57:15 UTC 2006

Hi

>> Which ones?
>

> All of them, dummy. Duh! That is what we are talking about.

Can you stop name calling?. Lets keep this discussion technical. You
install of the language packs and find them useful?. Thats not
particular convincing as a general use case

>> What are you using your system for?. Is it a
>> desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into
>> one of these profiles?
>

> No it doesn't fit into one of those "profiles". I am (and have been
> since FC1) using it for Test and Evaluation of SELinux. *One* of the
> things I am looking at is how well this pervasive technology
> integrates with a reasonable sized distribution/OS. Also, I'm trying
> to see what the maintenance burden is when a large number of
> programs/packages are in play. For example, what will it take to keep
> policy current for all the package changes coming through rawhide?

Yum.

> This one is about *download*. see if you can follow this. All the rpms
> in Core get downloaded within the isos. If I install them *all* I
> don't need to use yum(i.e download it again) to install anything.

Yum can very well work with offline repositories. see the man page of
creatrerepo. File a RFE against pirut to support this.

>> You waste disk space by installing packages you wouldnt use. You will
>> to keep packages updated. Performance would do down with deamons and
>> other session programs. You would be installing tons of world
>> languages which you wouldnt be using and so on.
>>
> Wrong again! I use all the packages. Maybe not the way your mind
> thinks but I use them. Who are you to judge?

Merely trying to understand *general* use cases. Not personal
preferences or trying to pass judgment. Lets keep this technical again.

--
Rahul