FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jim Martin bavinic at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 17:00:05 UTC 2006

Richard Hally wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Hi

>>> It saves me time when selecting packages to install.
>>

>> Which ones?
>

> All of them, dummy. Duh! That is what we are talking about.
>

>>> It saves me time to not have to install packages individually.
>>

>> What are you using your system for?. Is it a
>> desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into
>> one of these profiles?
>

> No it doesn't fit into one of those "profiles". I am (and have been
> since FC1) using it for Test and Evaluation of SELinux. *One* of the
> things I am looking at is how well this pervasive technology
> integrates with a reasonable sized distribution/OS. Also, I'm trying
> to see what the maintenance burden is when a large number of
> programs/packages are in play. For example, what will it take to keep
> policy current for all the package changes coming through rawhide?
>

>>> I don't have to download packages (via yum or whatever) that have
>>> already been downloaded in the isos.
>>

>> You cant work with them using the current tools provided anyway.
>> Thats what we are trying to fix already. If you dont use yum to keep
>> yourself updated installing everything is dangareous since it brings
>> in potential security issues with packages you wouldnt even use.
>

> This one is about *download*. see if you can follow this. All the rpms
> in Core get downloaded within the isos. If I install them *all* I
> don't need to use yum(i.e download it again) to install anything.
> Downloading *updates* is a different thing. I *update* my "everything"
> installation from rawhide every day.
>

>>> I don't need a kickstart file.
>>

>>> I don't need to waste space on disk with rpms when I already have
>>> the package installed from the initial installation.
>>

>> You waste disk space by installing packages you wouldnt use. You will
>> to keep packages updated. Performance would do down with deamons and
>> other session programs. You would be installing tons of world
>> languages which you wouldnt be using and so on.
>>

> Wrong again! I use all the packages. Maybe not the way your mind
> thinks but I use them. Who are you to judge?

I think the point has been made that some people want the "Everything"
option and some don't, that's great, no how about we put this one to bed
before it goes any futher. name calling is not needed, nor is it going
to help your case any.

I say move on, and lets do some testing. isn't that what this is all
about anyway?

Shalom! (Peace)

Jim