FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Tue Jan 24 03:28:21 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 10:52 am, David Nielsen wrote:
> What kind of end users are we talking about here, you average slashdot
> trolls or people who do real work.. what is our typical end user, you
> seem to think that you alone know who the target audience is and
> nobodies opinion matter except yours. When asked for supportive evidence
> for your stance you suggest slashdot as a serious reliable source of
> information.

Hi I am an end user (and mostly lurker on this list)

<slip=into_the_lead_lined_shorts>
	<shrugging=flak_vest_on>
I bought a Radio Shack TRS-80 in 1981.  Ivan_I was a z80 running CP/M.

I use computers to write, organize photographs, do genealogy and related
research.

I couldn't do much with RedHat 6.2, but it showed promise.  I stayed with 7.3
as long as I could.  I ran 8.0.  9.0 was a disaster; I used debian[sigh].
Fedora Core1 and I was back.  Ivan_VIII is running FC4.  I test on a spare
machine, when one is available.

What I try to do is get some work done, and enjoy myself.  What I try to avoid
is to be a preprocessor for a computer.  I don't want to learn the mechanics
and calling conventions of packages without number.  I run kde because gnome
is configurable, but not usefully configured.  Most of the time, I install
Fedora Core twice on the same machine, in order to get the options right.

anaconda is just that good.  It has been faster and more productive to
re-install than to try fix a bad configuration.  Before synaptic/apt and
(k)yum(ex)/yum, I installed everything.  I did not need most of the language
packages; but it was easier and SAFER to load it all up.   There is nothing
worse than finding you need something, and that you are 7 levels of
dependencies away from installing it.

IMHO, the trick is just to have it work. I have not apprenticed to emacs and I
have no vim.  This is never going to be a career for me.  I am just looking
to get a couple of jobs done.  It is a joy to connect a digital camera, have
it recognized, and just deal with editing and storing snapshots.

Following this list is a number of different educations - liberal arts as it
were. I am impressed with the professionism and the elan.  I don't know how
average I am; but I aspire to be and end user.

And it is time to wrap this up and have beer.
	</shrug>
</slip>

Cheers