Fedora floating screensaver stutters

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 00:35:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:17:52PM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
 > Jeff Spaleta wrote:
 > > On 1/25/06, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
 > >
 > >>I know I can select a different one, but if the default one isn't able
 > >>to run smoothly on this kind of hardware maybe it shouldn't be the
 > >>default.
 > >

 > > And if I told you I'm not seeing this on my 512 Meg 1800 MP athlon smp
 > > system using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, using the nv driver?
 >
 > Perhaps a related issue: floaters has high CPU utilization on my box.

Note that the current kernel has a ton of really heavyweight debugging
options turned on, as I'm trying to track down a number of really nasty
bugs (hangs & random reboots).

I saw a profile of the xscreensaver running xmatrix last week, and
the majority of the time the CPU was spent in the kernel poisoning
memory.  I'll get another build out with this stuff turned off soon,
as basically any memory-intensive application is hurting real bad right now.

		Dave