GRUB not written to MBR - rewrite problem

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Thu Jan 26 02:37:22 UTC 2006

On Wed January 25 2006 6:00 pm, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 18:24 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> > On installation, GRUB was supposed to be written to the MBR, but it
> > didn't happen. FC5t2 is installed on an external USB drive, connected to
> > my HP Pavilion Laptop. I've run several Linux distros this way, so I know
> > it can work. I booted into rescue (I also tried "linux expert rescue"),
> > but after I "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and type "grub-install /dev/hda" I get
> > the following:
> >
> > "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 does not have any corresponding BIOS
> > drive"
>
> What do /boot/grub/grub.conf and /boot/grub/device.map say?
>
> Can you show us what your partition setup looks like?

Thanks for your interest. After trying the appends, I gave up, though. I
needed to get something Linux back up on my laptop, so I reverted to MEPIS,
which installs without a hitch. I do have FC5 up on a desktop, and I will
continue to monitor this list, to see if my experience was unique, or whether
others encounter similar issues. Maybe I'll give it another try when t3 comes
out. I did leave 40 GB of free space on my external drive...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA