Fedora Targets

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 17:06:27 UTC 2006

Hi

>>Installer could provide a advanced option for multiple targets at the
>>same time...
>>

>Dude, what on Earth are you talking about?
>
>You're kidding, right?

Not kidding at all.  Today Fedora Core is a 4 to 5 CD's. If a user wants
only the server packages or only the KDE packages they wouldnt know
which CD's to download. It isnt obviously labelled or documented. What I
am proposing is splitting up the CD's into specific targets. Fedora
Server, Fedora Desktop, Fedora Edutainment etc that is self hosting with
a base group that brings in compatibility between these different
targets but it would waste some space.. Th user who wants just a desktop
or a server can download a single CD. By default anaconda wouldnt offer
any  package selection and install everything in the CD which would only
offer a single default browser, single mail client, DE etc. A advanced
option during installation can allow you to do something thats similar
to the current setup that will allow user to select different groups
such as desktop, workstation, server etc. When clicking on a group that
is not provided within the current CD the installer would indicate that
additional CD's are required or alternatively pull packages from the
network (nfs/http/ftp ...).

--
Rahul