FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:16:09 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> Another $0.02 ... From the perspective of long-time a college prof.
> teaching students who are learning Linux through exploration -- I
> appreciate the 'everything' button and would very much like to see it
> (or an easy-to-use equivalent) remain in FC5.
>
> (If it matters: yes, I do teach that that's not the way to install a
> production system, and yes, I do also run Linux in mission-critical
> environments outside of the college... since RHL4.2 :-)

Since we are on pennies and dime opinions ...

I have been using Unix since 1990 and teaching Linux since RedHat 5
and I must disagree.  The everything install has repeatedly proven to
be a "bad idea" for a long time - both on Unix and especially on
Linux.  Placing it "all on there" is a IMHO lazy approach.  Sorry.

The everything install places a ton of software on the system that
students are likely never to see, use, or much less understand.
Building a desktop usage machine is not the same as building a server
usage machine.  The installer under FC5T2 turns on EVERYTHING as it is
-- cpuspeed, Bluetooth -- much my old systems do not have -- so why
can't the installer detect it better?  Because, some may say, that if
the hardware isn't there there software, while ntsysv show it's
"enabled" isn't really being used -- so I show my students how they
must go in and tune thigs a little better immediately after a new
install.  But still 3GB installs versus 7GB installs -- i would rather
have that space for other things.

And yes, I know that under Linux there is very little if mainly no
difference between desktops and servers -- but why waste all that
space?  Yes yes Hard drives are cheap; however students need to learn
to manage their systems and installing "everything" isn't a good
management choice.

--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting