FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jan 26 23:05:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 16:06, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> End users arent mythical beings in Fedora. There are a whole lot of them
> out there. The introduction of a option only meant for  the test
> releases can be a very basic post installation yum install \*. It doesnt
> necessarily involve adding much more code unlike the options in the GA
> releases.

Ok, let me restate this to make sure I understand.

To date, every Fedora Core or RHEL media set has included a very
non-trivial number of uncatagorized packages not readily installable
outside of an everything install.  To even realize they are there
requires a user to 1) know something as silly as this is happening and
2) know enough to do rpm -qip * on each of the CDs and wade through the
output.

Then, if we find things  we want we are expected to either setup a local
repo with the packages on the CDs, redownload packages via yum or enter
RPM Dependency Hell.

And this is being done to make things easier for 'end users' who are
supposedly out there in great numbers, able to install Linux (hell, even
create yum repos!) but lacking the literacy to read a warning notice.

Sorry guys, defeaturing the install isn't the magic bullet to make Linux
ready for granny.  Granny couldn't install Windows either, which is why
it comes preloaded.  I know, I have had to help enough people run the XP
installer when their machine gets infested to the point a reinstall is
the only safe option.  I don't think Fedora can or should be quite as
simple as XP's. For example Disk Druid kicks XP's partitioning program
square in the nads but it isn't simpler.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!