FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Jan 26 23:23:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:05 -0600, John Morris wrote:
> To date, every Fedora Core or RHEL media set has included a very
> non-trivial number of uncatagorized packages not readily installable
> outside of an everything install.  To even realize they are there
> requires a user to 1) know something as silly as this is happening and
> 2) know enough to do rpm -qip * on each of the CDs and wade through the
> output.

A lot of these packages are deps of other packages which ARE exposed.
We don't expose each and every package for a clicky box.  Thats an
insane amount of boxes to display and a crapload of work to ensure that
all apps are always in comps, etc, etc, etc...  Thats 2198 checkboxes as
of Test2.  Translations for each package title, descript, etc...

So yes, there are packages that are not represented by a checkbox.
There may be cases where these packages also don't get installed by an
Everything, especially because of Language stuff.  Everything selection
doesn't mean EVERYTHING unless every language is selected.  Even then
there might be something which falls through the cracks.  It is hard to
keep up, and is part of the maint cost of having an 'everything' button.