Can FC5t2 x86_64 handle onboard VGA and Ethernet...

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Fri Jan 27 16:28:02 UTC 2006

> IMPORTANT: the reason I'm asking instead of just trying
> FC5 myself is that I'm not on broadband right now.
> Downloading N cdroms would take me a *lot* of time, so...

Find a nearby user group, and ask to copy somebody else's
DVD or CDs.  Use the physical mail ("post"), or actual travel.
It will still be faster than 6KB/s download.  And especially
if the electricity fails, or if someone else hangs up the
phone, your recovery time will be 30 minutes instead of
several days.

On DSL with 156KB/s sustained throughput, it took me 5 hours
to install FC5test2 using HTTP [Apple Macintosh mini PowerPC]
and 6 hours to download the complete DVD [x86_64].
That was adding C and X11 development, but not Gnome/KDE/java
etc. development, to the default packages.