Broadcom BCM43xx appears in system-config-network as eth1 in FC5T2

Pete Graner pgraner at redhat.com
Sat Jan 28 14:53:55 UTC 2006

Stanton Finley wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 20:40 -0500, Pete Graner wrote:
>> You need to lower the rate:
>>
>> iwconfig eth1 rate 11M
>>
>> Works for me...
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> --
>> Pete Graner                                email: <pgraner at redhat.com>
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion Pete, but unless I'm doing something stupid,
> (which is not uncommon), no joy. I've tried with and without WEP
> encryption, different rates, Managed and Auto, DHCP and fixed IP, but
> from the kernel logs it seems to be a problem with associating and
> authenticating. I've been combing the threads at
> http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/ looking for a clue.
> Perhaps a future kernel with a future softmac or dscape stack will fix
> this.
>
> Stanton Finley
> http://stanton-finley.net/

I've had varying degrees of success with different access points. At
home I have a Linksys WRT54G and it works with WEP. At work I can't get
it to work at all, I beleve we use Cisco APs but I'm not sure. I got it
to work at Phildelphia Airport last week, but not at BWI...

I've also noticed that the Network Manager drop down that lists all of
the available networks isn't the same between wireless cards.

I have a Cisco 350 PCMCIA card and I'll plug it into the same notebook.
When I click on Network Manager I see both wireless cards but the Cisco
card has 2 "other" APs that the BCM driver isn't seeing.

Also Network Manger shows zero (0) signal bars on the applet, but when
clicking on the applet shows me that the the AP I'm associated to is at
100%...

I'm going to update to the new Network Manager with WPA today and see if
  any of these "just go away". If not I guss BZ here I come....

Pete

Hmm... still a young driver...
--
Pete Graner                                email: <pgraner at redhat.com>