FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 21:05:14 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 14:17 -0500, Richard Hally wrote:
>
>>It is a poor design decision to remove a useful feature because that
>>feature uncovers other problems that should be fixed rather than covered
>>up.
>

> We're not talking about removing it.  When the installer underpinnings
> changed to yum, the everything code would have to be written again.  The
> old code doesn't work, the new code doesn't exist.  We're talking about
> re-adding the feature back in, not dropping an existing feature.

With reading the fedora-list, reading and also experiencing myself some
problems that relate to more packages, thus more to go wrong, I would
agree that large package sets are not ideal for the bulk of users. I do
however feel that ways to make this option available should be made to
make an installation of all packages that are available without a lot of
effort.
Since the updating mechanism has changed and currently does not exist,
thinking of the best method to reinstate an all available packages
option can be discussed and the solution can be adopted for adding this
feature to the installer.

Proposals:
1) make a command line option to perform a "yum -y install "*" option
that a user could invoke.
2) Add an option that would allow all available packages to be selected
with one click or at least selecting them all per category.
3) Develop a way to run an everything install after the system is setup
to a smaller state at first boot. This would either be limited to those
that use the DVD or from some devised scheme where the correct CD could
be chosen with several CDs without having to toggle discs.
4) Cut down on the release size of packages that are not installable
with the installer, but add them to the "lower 800" CD or some similar
scheme.

Though this thread is long and viewpoints sometimes seem to be rather
unmoving, it has expressed some fairly solid rationalizing from both
extremes and those who hold middle ground.

Jim

--
A gambler's biggest thrill is winning a bet.
His next biggest thrill is losing a bet.