ATrpms goes FC6

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sat Jul 1 19:43:29 UTC 2006

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 09:24:59AM -0700, alan wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> usually ATrpms jumps into testing at test2 or test3. This time we'll
>>> try supporting FC6 from test1 onwards.
>>>
>>> A couple of notes:
>>>
>>> o ATrpms uses disttags of 5.90 matching the internal verisoning of
>>> test1. When test2 hits the road packages will all be rebuilt with
>>> 5.91 as a disttag and so on. That way upgrade paths are retained
>>> (but these are not guaranteed within test releases/rawhide anyway,
>>> so don't feel on the safe side) and rebuilds don't have to bump the
>>> buildtag in front of the disttag, so when your FC5 box has
>>> foo-1.2.3-4.* and test/rawhide bits also start with foo-1.2.3-4.* it
>>> means that the same sources/specfiles are still used.
>>>
>>> o kernel support (kmdls) is there, both for the test release kernel,
>>> 2.6.16-1.2289_FC6, as well as hopefully the latest rawhide kernel,
>>> 2.6.17-1.2318_FC6. Oops, the latest is already 2.6.17-1.2328.fc6,
>>> and by the time you're reading this probably even further. The point
>>> is that ATrpms will try to support the latest rawhide kernel, but it
>>> certainly can't keep up to the pace of rawhide. :)
>>>
>>> o Please report bugs, especially regression wrt FC5 on
>>> bugzilla.atrpms.net under fc6.
>>
>> Cool.  The only problem I see is that the nVIDIA kernel driver is bjorken
>> with xorg 7.1.  (And will be until they create a Linux driver for the 9xxx
>> series of drivers.)
>>
>> Are there x86_64 builds?
>
> Yes, but only for the FC6t1 kernel (2.6.16-1.2289_FC6). I saw that the
> build breaks for rawhide kernels, so I didn't make the nvidia builds
> public, yet.

The problem with the nVIDIA kernel module is not the kernel.  It is that
the ABI for Xorg changed.  The driver builds fine, but display is weird.
Font display is iffy.  There is a way to get it working, but it involved
disabling render and abi.

It is supposed to be fixed in the next revision of the nVIDIA driver, but
I have yet to get a timeline as to when that will be released.  (And the
new driver will be needed to get alglx running.)

--
"I want to live just long enough to see them cut off Darl's head and
  stick it on a pike as a reminder to the next ten generations that some