DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 7 09:51:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > I have no idea where those settings might be stashed,
>
> from gnome panel ...
>
> system, preferences, fonts, details

Yes, that runs gnome-font-properties, which can be used to make
the fonts readable on my 42" 1920x1080 monitor, but it forgets
the settings when I log out, then I have to run it again.
If only I could figure out the correct syntax I could probably
drop a file into /etc/fonts/conf.d and make them permanent.
I'll have to poke around in there and see if I can adapt
some of the examples.

For me, it turns out that the best settings are described
by the dialog as:

Font rendering: Best shapes

In the details... dialog I have

Smoothing: Grayscale
Hinting: Medium
Subpixel order: RGB (though that didn't really seem to
have an effect if I changed it).

The fonts actually look OK on my 52 dot per inch display
with these settings (on the other hand I didn't need to
change anything to make the original fonts look OK :-).