DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 8 00:38:20 UTC 2006

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On 07 5:37:S, Rahul wrote:
>> Tom Brinkman wrote:
>
>>>    As I said, other distros solved the qt? / gtk? / dpi font
>>> disparities quite a while ago.  Seems just borrowing their
>>> (Mdv) 'fixes' would be better than reinventing the wheel.
>>>
>>>    Since switchin to FC, I jus figured FC hasn't done it since
>>> KDE seems to be treated like a junk yard dog in Fedora. Still a
>>> lot of FC users use KDE, but like me, many Gnome apps too. An
>>> it seems to me this is more important that searchin for a
>>> default font.
>> Its not searching for a default font. Its considering switching
>> to a new one. If you think there are other things more important,
>> contribute. You arent being particularly helpful calling KDE a
>> junk yard.
>>
>> Rahul
>
>    Somethin must of got lost in translation Rahul. 'treated like a
> junk yard dog' means 'like a step child', or at best 'put on a back
> burner'... IE, sort'a ignored, left alone. Which is my perception
> of FC attitude towards KDE. YMMV

Nothing got lost in translation but you are talking about a different
issue. This particular discussion was only about feedback on the dejavu
font and not about the user experience of KDE in Fedora. If you find any
bugs in KDE file them. On the longer term, we are working on various
things that would help improve the KDE experience in Fedora.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE

>    Fact remains that if a user chooses to use KDE with FC, the fonts
> in KDE are easily configured. Not so for Gnome (gtk) apps the KDE
> user might also choose to run.

That I guess would a similar experience to trying to change KDE
application fonts while running GNOME.

  Runnin g-f-p (in a term right after
> boot), with g-f-p already configured from the default 96 dpi (87
> for my monitor), fonts an their pt sizes already chosen, pixel
> smoothin choices configured... will make Gnome apps under KDE (the
> apps defaults like menu, tool bar, task bar, etc.) comparable to
> KDE choices. Any font. Rather than tiny to the point of being
> unreadable for old folks with poor eyes like me. Specially with
> bigger high res monitors.
>
>    The solution is to run g-f-p as stated above. Which fixes it for
> that session. Problem is it won't survive a logout. A bit of an
> annoyance that has been solved in other distros for well over a
> year. An the 'survives a logout' is the only issue I responded to.
>
>    I could care little what 'new font' is chosen, as like me, most
> users choose their own.  It would be nice tho if g-f-p choices
> would survive logouts.  NBFD, but it'd make me happier ;)

Most users dont change any font defaults which is the reason why any
such changes require a large amount of feedback now. If you find
distributions which have patched their own packages to fix any font
related issues, attaching that patch and(or) filing a bug report would
be helpful. In Fedora, we try to be as close to upstream sources as
possible and if those fixes were included in GNOME, they would
automatically benefit all downstream distributions and users instead of
tackling these kind of issues redundantly in every distributions.

Rahul