DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 9 01:13:16 UTC 2006

On 08 7:22:S, Joel Rittvo wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:

> >> I just noticed that you can get it as an rpm from Extras also.
> >
> >    OK, you talked me into it ;) 'yum install gtk-qt-engine'
> >
> >   BUT, as soon as I click on "GTK Styles and Fonts", kcontrol
> > segfaults an disappears.
>
> I am not running Rawhide or a test version right now, so there is
> probably some incompatibility just for the moment there.  You
> might want to try it again in a few days or weeks.  At least with
> the rpm, you can remove it easily if it causes problems.
>
> It actually lets you use any KDE style.  It has a "choice" to
> "use my KDE styles with GTK applications" or you can specify
> another style for it to use with GTK applications.  There is also
> a choice for having it use your KDE fonts with GTK apps, or you
> can chose a different font.  It is simply meant to be a way to
> get some settings automatically sent to GTK apps from within a
> KDE desktop.  They can be similar settings or different settings
> as you choose.  I do think it will solve 90% of your issues, but
> obviously it will need to run correctly first!

   Yep, that would help ;)   An sounds like a 'fix'. Maybe no BZ is
needed. Thanks again, you been most helpful, an your description
does sound most encouragin Joel.

   FWIW, I did use yum to remove gtk-qt-engine an then installed it
again just a short time ago. Same result. BTW, it introduces 2 "GTK
Styles and Fonts" entries into kcontrol (both installs).  But, as
you allude to, this is rawhide, an I'd already reckoned to keep
tryin it again.  I figure the (extras) maintainer might not be up
with current kernel, or some other current FC6 issues. If I file a
BZ on anything, this'll probly be the candidate. After a time ;)

   Anyhow, as I keep protestin, I already have a viable work around.
Anyhow, I think it's time to return this thread back to it's
original intent... that of arrangin default 'DejaVu fonts for
Fedora Core 6 feedback call'.  Even if they're tiny an the dpi is
wrong, an changes won't survive logout ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas