Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 12 02:23:10 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>> When viewing the rpms with mc you see two files, one is named *UPDATE
>> and another is called *INSTALL. I figured they were scripts since I
>> have clicked on one or the other to install or update in both rpm and
>> deb formats before to upgrade or install.
>> Since you mentioned that they were not scripts, I viewed them with
>> mcedit and only "run this script if updating" and the same words
>> except "installing" included in the other.
>> This is my confusion on the assumption that they were scripts.
>
> rpm -ql mc doesnt list either a INSTALL or UPDATE file in my FC5 system.
> They are usually not packaged since it relates to tarball installation
> or upgradation normally. If you see any such files being installed, file
> a bug report.
>
> Rahul

The file is visible if you dive into the rpms for and rpm using mc to
view the content of the file. Clicking on either the *INSTALL or the
*UPGRADE file will either install an rpm or a deb package via mc.

Below is the output generated if one clicks on the *UPGRADE
file via mc. If you are familiar with viewing rpm internals with mc, you
will see these files when exploring the rpms. The files are not
installed. The files initialize either an upgrade or install when you
click on them.

   /usr/share/mc/extfs/rpm run
/var/rpms/GFS-kernel-2.6.15.1-5.FC5.17.i686.rpm UPGRADE
Upgrading ""'/var/rpms/GFS-kernel-2.6.15.1-5.FC5.17.i686.rpm'""
error: Failed dependencies:
          /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 is needed by
GFS-kernel-2.6.15.1-5.FC5.17.i686
          kernel = 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 is needed by
GFS-kernel-2.6.15.1-5.FC5.17.i686

Jim

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.