ld.so fc4 kernel 2.6.16-1.2111 behavior comments

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Wed Jul 12 04:52:56 UTC 2006

asking for my tech lead...

he claims the dynamic loading changed in fedora sometime in the last
several months.

we have an application set with the usual bin,lib,include directories,
and ld.so.conf entries to support the lib.

he did a toplevel 'make clean ; make' on our source tree, which wiped
out the existing so's from our lib on the hard drive and replaced them
with the latest.

then he started an app from our bin. he says the new symbols from the
latest .sos were not present in dlsym calls. the old .so was still
somehow being used.

according to him this is broken behavior...he says this should never
happen if the disk file changes, and he runs ldconfig (as he did),
whether an existing app still has chunks of the old .so mapped or not.

an init 6 cleared the problem (obviously)

just curious if anyone has comments ... or pointers to a commentary
about the behavior...i will relay them and post back as necessary.

thanks,
John