DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 12:16:38 UTC 2006

Michal, list,

> OTOH it seems that DejaVu shows up by default in an ExtraLight
> weight.  If this is indeed the case then on many displays Book
> seems to be better.

Is it right that ExtraLight should be so thin that it's unusable?

I have seen it as unusably thin on a machine (upgraded from FC5 to FC6t1
using yum). It is a bit of an unusual setup so I haven't reported a bug
so far. I manually installed DejaVu for FC5, then removed it and
reinstalled after upgrading to FC6. I have set the DPI to 108, which is
less than the actual DPI (140 ish), and not the default of 96. I tried
out DejaVu and some characters seem to render badly - the 'c' is larger
than other lowercase characters, and upper case characters with curves
'O' and 'D' can render with the parts of the curve faded to nothing.

I plan to do a clean install of FC6t2 but in the meantime if there's
anything I should do to test / debug and give feedback, let me know.
Some guidance on the DPI setting would be useful.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--