kernel 2396 and 2401 will not install

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 15 23:33:56 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 06:05:18PM -0400, Jason Montleon wrote:
>> These two kernels appear to be hanging on the install
>
> I think that this happens during a rewrite of /etc/grub.conf
>
>> running the command rpm -ivvh installing these shows that they hang at the
>> line that reads:
>> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install
>> 2.6.17-1.2401.fc6
>>
>> Any ideas why this might be happening?
>
> Not really, but there is something "funny" with the latest kernels.
> and I suspect that bug 199014 is related.
>
> You can try 'pkill new-kernel-pkg' from another shell, does not
> matter if you are running yum or rpm directly, and that should allow
> you to finish although you will get an error from a %post script.
> You will need to edit /etc/grub.conf yourself but a corresponding
> initrd is already created.
>
> At least from what I have seen.
>
>    Michal

Alternatively, killall -9 nash while running the update seems to let the
update proceed as usual.
Has a bug been filed against mkinitrd related to nash pegging in a state
where it is not doing anything noticeable? Once it is killed the image
seems alright and the kernel seems alright.

I'll check but wanted to know if anyone has already or was simply
rolling back mkinitrd.

Jim

--
I want the presidency so bad I can already taste the hors d'oeuvres.