X switches off monitor

Doug Morton dougm at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 21 03:23:44 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt <fedora <at> wir-sind-cool.org> writes:

> Completed a yum upgrade of an up-to-date FC5 installation to Rawhide at
> the weekend.
>
> After reboot, it starts the X server, and then the monitor is "switched
> off", i.e. it is put into power-saving standby mode with a blinking power
> LED and apparently no way to turn it on.
>
> Does that sound familiar to anybody?
>
> Running system-config-display with or without --reconfig gives a
> traceback (GdkPixbuf fatal error) and refuses to work.

I have 3 linux computers, 2 64-bit desktops and one 32-bit laptop.

The laptop (an old Dell I4100) works fine with FC5 kernels 2145 and 2157.

One of my 64-bit desktops (Athlon based) shows the exact behavior you describe
with both kernels, but works fine with kernel 2122.  When running 2145 or 2157,
I can get into it using ssh over the network, but the console monitor is turned
off.

The other 64-bit desktop (P4 based) simply won't boot with these two kernels,
ending with kernel panic during initrd.  It works fine with kernel 2133.

I am not a linux guru - but if this is still an issue then please let me know
how I can assist.

Doug Morton