install report 2006-07-25 - mixed results

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Wed Jul 26 08:28:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 22:41 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> The install was successful, anaconda seems in good shape at this time.

Yep, did one yesterday myself, although the fonts have some work.  Not
all too solid if you ask me.  Like some of the lettering was faded, or
the color shall I say.

> The initial reboot paniced trying to kill init!  Adding selinux=0 to the boot
> line let it continue.

Yep, had the same thing happen to me.

> Firstboot came up (without RHGB) and did not fail the soundcard module.
> However, it still hangs waiting on a subprocess that goes defunct; apparently
> it isn't getting a signal from the child process.  Even killing the X server
> it's running on doesn't cure the hang.  I had to ssh in from another machine
> to kill the firstboot process.

IIRC it worked for me, but I don't remember now.

> Incidentally, system-config-display fails with an import error for "_gtk"
> and requires a X server kill to escape from the hung window.

Yep, ran into the same problem.

I also noticed that root doesn't get the same bash prompt as normal
user, also that yum.cron is no longer in /etc/crontab/daily/ dir.

This may also have been noticed, but during the install when trying to
add a repository, it would only let me add a http or ftp URL, not file
or for anything local.  At least not file:// in any case.

Thanks,

Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY