install report 2006-07-25 - file:// repo

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 26 22:01:29 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:25, Mike Chambers wrote:
>> My /home/nfs/download/linux/whatever dir's is it.  dir's=freshrpms,
>> extras, whichever subdir/repository that I want to do.  I mirror 2-3 of
>> them so I don't have to d/l them.
>>
>> Mainly to do local mirrored repositories, via setup NFS.
>
> Adding an NFS repo makes sense.  A file:// probably not as much (but I could
> be wrong).
A file repo would be good when I'm not reformatting all drives in the
machine {normal} as I do a new install to the / folder, leaving my
existing data and repo's intact. Also good in a re-install situation, so
that I don't need to re-download the packages. Another situation that
file:// urls would be useful - other types of removable media
{cd/dvd/usb flash/usb hdd} that get inserted / mounted.

DaveT.