many s-c-* missing Requires: pygtk2-libglade, BZ #197624

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Jul 27 17:44:37 UTC 2006

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> I was working on a minimal server install with remote X11 GUI
> administration when I ran into a problem with s-c-securitylevel
> crashing with an ImportError: No module named glade.  So I tested all
> of the system-config-* packages that are missing a Requires:
> pygtk2-libglade and many of them fail when it is not installed.  Some
> of these run in text mode, but I'm not sure what they need to have
> installed to make them work in GUI mode:
>
> system-config-boot-0.2.11-1.2: requires a bunch of stuff that pulls in
> xorg-x11 and pygtk2-libglade, so this strictly doesn't need its own
> Require.

That's true, but it is always good to explicitly list any and all
direct dependencies (and build dependencies) in a package anyway,
because things can change in the future.  For package A if you
depend on package B, and also need F, but B drags in C, which
drags in D, which drags in F already, so you do not put an
explicit dependency on F and your package does directly use F
itself, then in Fedora Core 8 when package D no longer needs F
anymore, it wont drag it in for you anymore either.  This
results in a problem 3 years from now for someone.

So if you know you need F, specify that you need F period, and
you never ever have to worry about it again.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.